Wednesday, July 9, 2014

School in the UK!

So most of my posts so far haven't been about school, and that's because its just so much its hard to put down all of it into one post. But it here goes!


I am taking Introduction to Marketing for my first session here at the University of Sussex, in Brighton England. My class has about seven people in it, comprised of students from UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, Hamburg School of Business in Germany, Technologico De Monterrey in Mexico, and Ursinus College in Pennsylvania. Our class is diverse in where everyone is from so its interesting seeing how everyone's views and understandings differ.

For our class work we were all placed into groups and expected to make a marketing plan by the end of the module. During each class the professor goes over a new aspect of the marketing campaign, overnight or over the period of a day, our groups needed to change our marketing plan to reflect the new material that we had covered. Each day of class it begins with the professor going over new material, and it ends with each of us presenting our modified marketing proposal.

This way of learning has been extremely beneficial to my understanding of marketing and branding in the corporate world. Moreover it has taught me how to work with my classmates in an efficient way to come up with a proposal in a short amount of time.

I have spent a lot of my time here (when I am not exploring) in the computer room with my classmates going over marketing strategies, pricing, and product image. I have really been able to enjoy this type of studying.. it has kept me engaged in the class because I can directly apply what I learn, and then see immediately how well I have really learned it by presenting it.

It has been such a great opportunity to do my classes here with a diverse group of students. Not only do I learn about the material but I learn about my classmates countries' as well. Like something small.. in Germany when they write two thousand they use periods instead of commas (2.000) - which is a HUGE difference when you are writing a budget out and you are only getting 20 dollars instead of 20,000 dollars!  This is something that I would have only really noticed by working with someone from Germany.. or you know going to Germany too ;)

Finals are next week and its our final presentation! I am actually really excited about it instead of nervous, I am not sure if that's normal but I am happy with that!

Thanks for following my blog thus far!
I am headed off to London this weekend, then Paris the weekend after that, not to mention starting my next module as well, so keep checking back!


No comments:

Post a Comment