Thursday, July 10, 2014

An English Fourth of July

Well I am finally catching my breath from all that school work I have been doing, and now I can write out how my past weekend went!

This past weekend was the Fourth of July, definitely one of the most non traditional Independence days that I have had, but very special and memorable nonetheless. I took the day to hike up the Seven Sisters cliffs in South Sussex with a large group of students also studying here. The cliffs are incredible to experience, its hard to fully express the awe you feel looking out and seeing something so iconic. When the world was shifting during the time the Sierras were formed the land around these cliffs was covered in water, and the land was pushed up into these cliffs. The white chalk you see is said to be from the bones of the animals that fell to the ocean floor when the water first took over the land. It is extremely delicate and erodes away all the time, so the cliffs are always kept white.

This ended up being about a 10 mile hike up and down each of the Seven Sisters cliffs. We had lunch on these beautiful pebble beaches (which really hurt to walk on barefoot) and then we all went back to school after the hike to celebrate Fourth of July. I have to say I really think we got a great celebration despite being away from home and celebrating in the county that we became independent from...

The rest of the weekend was still eventful because I decided to go and see London for the first time - I know, I have been here in England for 3 weeks and still hadn't seen it! But I got there and explored the worlds oldest museum, and I even met Cleopatra herself!








Mummies...


    And more mummies! 



... As you can see I really like Ancient Egypt :)
After checking out the Egyptian part I took many many photos of the rest of the museum, but like they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I will just post them below!












No comments:

Post a Comment